Monday, February 19, 2007

Cruising Away

From Cruise Day 1&2
Well, we’re at sea on the Star Princess headed for Jamaica. Things are running smoothly, given that we are a party of 15. The weather was uncooperative at first – when we awoke in Ft. Lauderdale is was a brisk 46 degrees. Now it is warming up, but still cloudy. I’m okay with that – it’s the beach that I love.

As I type this, Josie is taking her afternoon nap on the bed and Claudine (my younger sis); my Mom and my Maddie are on the adjoining balcony discussing what their plans are for the rest of the day. I’m grateful for the quiet to collect my thoughts.

I’ve learned a few things in preparing for this trip.

Vacation Preparation Tip #1 – Don’t go with the Level 2 Spray-on Mystic Tan because the gum chomping college kid behind the desk says it will “work for You”
From Cruise Day 1&2


I’m sorry, but after following all directions carefully, my hands are the color of Cheetos and other parts of my body (which thankfully are covered by my one-piece suit) resemble the flesh of an oompa loompa. Note to self: Less is more where spray-on tans are concerned.

Vacation Preparation Tip #2 – Do not bring your 22 month-old daughter with you when you take your very excitable Jack Russell Terriers to the kennel.

The gymnastics involved in leashing 30 pounds (combined) of dog, while removing a toddler from a car seat - should only be attempted by Olympiads. My attempt resulted in the two dogs taking off across an ice covered parking lot while my Josie clawed at my chest thus exposing my undergarments to all the unfortunate souls in the waiting room. Run in, apologize, place daughter on a chair in waiting room, run after dogs, get dogs into waiting room, and apologize again. Balance daughter on hip while writing and holding two dogs on leashes. Console daughter as dogs are taken into ‘The Big House’ and she cries “Bubba, Tatsey, Bubba, Tatsey”.

By the time we got to the airport in Miami I was soooo ready to get on a boat and just keep that Pina Colada arm extended, never seeing the bottom of those lovely plastic cups or the end of those pretty little umbrellas! Alas, it has not happened (yet!) but at least I can dream.

From Cruise Day 1&2
We’re having a wonderful time. The ship is very nice. I’m having a great time being with my siblings (and spouses); my parents; my niece & nephews and my own family. I’ll fill you in on our activities tomorrow. I think if you click on the photo below you can see the album of shots I've taken in the past 2 days. There are no captions, but I'll work on that later!

No comments: