Sunday, December 23, 2007

The 'Other' Family Trip



Today, my husband, James is taking over the blog. While I was in Canada with my Mom and Marty earlier this month, James, Maddie, Josie and my Dad headed to California. DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions of my husband are not mine. I take no responsibility for typos, bad English, or offensive remarks !!!

James writes:

While Michele was taking her trip, Maddie and Josie were with me for a combined business trip/ weekend vacation. It had been a while since my parents saw Maddie and Josie and I was hoping to get some good photos of our daughters at Disneyland for our family Christmas card.

Any Southern California Disneyland fan can tell you that the best time to visit is the first two weeks after Thanksgiving. Disneyland is decorated for Christmas and there are no crowds. It’s easy to ride all the attractions but most of all; it’s a jolly good atmosphere. Maddie is well in to her teenage, “everyone is against me” years, so it’s good to have her at place that reminds her ha life is not bad.

Josie, on the other hand, has been asking me to take her to Disneyland for the past two months. While she enjoyed her first visit, which was right after her second birthday, her awareness daily grows exponentially.

As an added bonus, my father-in-law, Charlie, was with us. We assumed that with Michele and her mother traveling to Canada, Charlie would appreciate the peace and quite. The fact that he preferred to travel with us for a whirlwind tour of Southern California did not go unnoticed.

We flew on Virgin America – quite an airline. We took advantage of the very low fares and were nearly the only passengers on that flight. Think of Virgin America as a nicer Jet Blue. This is good because when Jet Blue goes out of business, Virgin America stands ready to pick up the slack!

My friends a Prietive group had a 2008 Volvo XC70 station wagon waiting for us at LAX. We piled our luggage and ourselves in this very nice vehicle to begin our Southern California adventure.

The first stop was In-N-Out burger. They’ve opened one right next to LAX, which I managed to miss during our April visit. A sign stated that their starting wage was close to $10/hour. Hmm – maybe we CAN afford to move back!

I was once told that Charlie’s oldest brother, Danny, passed away in Los Angeles in 1963. That was the last time Charlie was in Southern California, in a cemetery close to LAX. We visited Uncle Danny’s final resting site, which was less than two miles from LAX. It was quite moving to see Charlie’s reaction when we found it. He took the time to point our to Maddie and Josie that Danny is one of their great-uncles. While Josie didn’t understand, that moment as not lost on Maddie.



Now, off to my first meeting – Cal Poly Pomona!

Of course, the 405 Northbound was clogged. My Southern Californian driving acumen kicked right back in – we took the 405 South to the105 East to the 110 North to the 210 East to the 71 South and we were at Cal Poly Pomona is less than 30 minutes. No comments on the speed. My front seat passenger, Charlie, was wearing his sunglasses so I wasn’t sure of his reaction to my fine driving skills or if his eyes were opened for much of that journey.

I’m always honored when I’m invited to speak to the engineering students. The faculty much enjoys it also – after all if things worked out well for a slacker and screwball as I was, there is hope for all! We meet with my favorite professor, Dr. Mike Shelton, who is now the chairman of the Mechanical Engineering department. I was surprised to see my old 3-D dynamics professor, Dr. Berkowitz! I’m glad that he didn’t quiz me on anything on that subject!

After my meeting, Maddie wanted to visit the Arabian horse stables. We first visited the stables in January, where we were given a very nice tour. Maddie learned about al the horses and the Equestrian Science program and Cal Poly, while Josie would run, stop, point and yell, “HORSE”!! I think Charlie was a little surprised to see that Cal Poly had such an extensive facilities (of which he only saw half – we didn’t visit the other part of the Agricultural sciences facilities. I explained to him that when W.K. Kellogg (yes, THAT Kellogg) gave the land to California for a college, he wanted them to teach engineering and raise Arabian horses. The Kellogg ranch was surrounded by Diamond Bar ranch and Phillips Ranch – both now cities of the same name.





One of the students that were decorating the stalls for Christmas told us that the yearlings were out and about. Maddie made a beeline to those yearlings as Charlie carried Josie to see all the horses that were in their stalls, then walk to see the yearlings.

For some reason, Mother Nature made babies of all species cute and adorable. Watching all the yearlings come to Maddie, Josie, and Charlie for affection (and hoping for food) was great.

Now, to Disneyland!

Like any premium hotel chain, Marriott treats their loyal customers quite well. After checking in, we went to the hospitality suite to relax. I was constantly on my Blackberry (I WANT AN iPHONE!!!) Confirming my appointments and teleconferences while trying to relax. Because there was a major NFL game that evening, would be taking the kids to Disneyland, then meet a colleague after we returned.

There’s nothing like being greeted my Mickey Mouse when you enter Disneyland and we experienced it. Mickey was quite happy to see us and the feeling was mutual. There’s nothing better than watching my two daughters have a good time. The big event that evening was Josie going her first roller coaster, She enjoyed it so much that we did it twice! She was a little scared as we stood in the very short line, but seeing, Donald, Goofy, and Pluto riding the coaster helped out.



Jet lag is a travel curse that most have yet to counter and we were no different. Eating breakfast at the local Denny’s at 4:0 A.M., we discussed our plans for the day. Charlie was going to Disneyland with the kids while I attended to my business.

Mother nature steeped in for, by 9:30 A.M., the rain was so hard that we changed our plans. We would leave for Lancaster now and return to Disneyland on Sunday.

To say that my parents where delighted by our earlier than planned arrival would be an understatement. My parents were delighted to see their grand daughters and made Charlie feel at home. And they said, “hi” to me.

Our dear friend, Dave, joined us for the Saturday adventure – the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library. Like those that because politically aware during the brief Kennedy Presidency, Reagan affected many of my peers in the same manner. I believe that he was one of our best Presidents and personified that office, that position, and our country. We are, by nature, an optimistic country. Our Declaration of Independence stated that we American believe that life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are inalienable human rights. Reagan never forgot that and practiced it throughout his public career.

As I toured the museum, it came to me that his was a public, not political career. I contrast his leadership and stewardship to the current venomous environment that’s found in all level of government today. There’s nothing wrong with this country and all levels of government that a President wit vision, with an understanding of this country’s foundation, and leads with that foundation, couldn’t fix. And NONE of the current candidates, especially on the Democrat side, have this. Oh well.



That evening, we found that our good friend, Larry Grooms, is running for Lancaster City Council. The old guard that has run Lancaster in to the ground is dying. Larry would make a great city councilman and, if he chose, a great Mayor.

By the way, I drove my father’s 1999 Dodge Caravan during our Saturday trek., I think we were all surprised to see how that 2.4 liter 4-cylinder engine performed. Most amusing was when Charlie mentioned to my father about my average driving speed. My father replied, “He’s actually slowed down a bit!” He would not have made that comment if his minivan had a bigger engine.

Sunday was a great day. Charlie was at the Downtown Disney ESPN Zone taking in the Sunday NFL action, we went to Disneyland and California Adventure. Josie drove a car for the first time and Maddie went on her favorite California Adventure rides (I know, “Eisner’s folly” has only four attractions that are Disney quality). And the Raiders beat the Broncos.

Other than experiencing a “wave off” while trying to land at Dulles, Monday was your typical coast-to-coast travel day. Michele had a very nice Chicken dinner waiting for us when we arrived home and the kids were very happy to see their Mother.

No comments: