Monday, June 4, 2007

Wanna Feel Good?!

Last week, there was an interesting article in the Washington Post. It explained that "neuroscientists at the National Institutes of Health, had been scanning the brains of volunteers as they were asked to think about a scenario involving either donating a sum of money to charity or keeping it for themselves. The results were showing that when the volunteers placed the interests of others before their own, the generosity activated a primitive part of the brain that usually lights up in response to food or sex. Altruism, the experiment suggested, was not a superior moral faculty that suppresses basic selfish urges but rather was basic to the brain, hard-wired and pleasurable."

I thought the article was fascinating.

It also made me think about all those solicitations we get in the mail from various service organizations and charities. It seems like everyone needs a donation. Certainly, we would give to all of them if we could.

How many times have you written a check to an organization and hoped it would help? How much does it really help? Well, for a lot us - we'll never know. Well, HAVE I GOT AN OPPORTUNITY FOR YOU!!!!

I want to share another story with you, so please indulge me for just a bit...

When we started our adoption process for our precious Josie, I searched for any information I could about international adoption. I joined adoption forums on line, and found a supportive and loving group of folks on the MSN 'Adopting from China' forum. They shared their struggles, their emotions and their own stories with all of us. I can't tell you the amount of support and comfort I received from folks I had never 'met'. Members shared their blogs and websites to document their experiences and I just lapped them up... There are a few that I still follow religiously - they are posted on my sidebar on the right.

One in particular, the Journey to Kai (The Adventures of Stink Mouse) is one of my favorites. I'm asking for your help for our 'cyber friends' - Scott & Tina. They are returning to China for a second son, Shen. Their story is amazing and if you click here:

you can read all about both Kai & Shen. Scott & Tina are fundraising for the mandatory 'donation' to Shen's orphanage. Basically, all adoptive parents must pay this 'donation' when adopting from China. It's kind of like a 'payback' for the people who took care of, loved, fed and nurtured our children until we could welcome them into our families. It's a big chunk of change, but worth every cent to know that the orphanages can continue their work.

Please visit this site and look for the "Fundraising" entry on Shen's blog. James & I have donated and we consider it a deposit in the 'Good Karma" bank. Please consider donating - and following Scott & Tina's Journey to Shen. You'll feel great - I promise!
Thanks, Michele

No comments: