Sunday, February 3, 2008

Long Time, No Blog


Here's a photo of 'Buddalicious Central'. The photos on my board bring me great joy. I love looking up to see everyone smiling at me while I work! Also, please note the stunning new Digital Rebel (10.1 MP) James got me for Christmas..Niiiiccce!!! (Thanks, honey!)

It has been a while since I've had the free time necessary to write a truly thoughtful blog entry. I guess that's a good thing.

Once the Christmas season is over most folks take it easy. For us, the New Year brought quite a few new challenges along with our resolutions. I rarely write about myself (besides how lucky and thankful I am to have such a wonderful family!) so I will share some of my resolutions that I have been working on and the other 'Mom Things' that have been consuming my time.

My first resolution for the New Year was to 'get healthy'. I have fought my weight for the past 20 years. I have gained and lost the same 40 pounds at least 10 times. So, this year I have decided to strive not for a number on the scale or a specific pant size. Instead, I am learning to embrace who and what I am RIGHT NOW while working on a set of 'baby step' goals that will add up to overall good health and well being.

So far, I have gotten 3 of my 'baby steps' into play. First, I quit smoking. Now - before anyone reading this gets all judgmental on me - please know that I have not smoked indoors (my house, a restaurant, etc.) in over 10 years. I always, even in the dead of winter, would step outside so my family wouldn't be exposed to second hand smoke. In addition, my nasty habit was limited to 10 cigarettes a day, period. So, now that's over. I have been smoke free for 6 weeks.

Second, I have been making healthier choices with our food selections. I am trying to limit processed foods and refined sugars and increasing the amount of fruits and vegetables in our daily menu. Maddie gets a whole wheat sandwich or wrap packed in her lunch; Josie gets whole wheat crackers and fresh fruits for snack (she really has always preferred these kind of snacks anyway...); and our meals are cooked either on the grill, in limited olive oil or baked.

Finally, I have been getting to the gym at least 3 times a week. I am shooting for 1 hour workouts at least 5 times a week, but I'm struggling with the "Me Time" concept. Even though Josie loves going to the Kids Zone at the gym, I find that laundry and other household chores haunt me while I attempt to go to my 'happy place'.

So, Enough about me. Here's what we've been working on with regard to the Girls:

Right now, Josie is nearly potty trained. It has been a struggle. I am determined to stay positive and encouraging. Josie must be the sweetest kid alive - how else could I just smile when seeing a huge wet spot on my carpet and Josie (standing bow legged) saying "Sorry, Mom. I sorry I had accident". I have a potty chair upstairs and downstairs for her - and I have for nearly a year. She goes for a few days with no accidents and then we have a few set backs. Oh well. we'll just keep up the good work and hope for the best.

Yesterday, Josie started piano classes!! We were able to find a Yamaha Music School that has a 3-4 year old class. A parent accompanies each child and it's a 45 minute class filled with songs, exercises and instrument playing. I was amazed to see how the kids are taught finger movements, the music scale and keyboard positions. Really fun and Josie just LOVED it!!! James and I both attended with her. Next week, it will be just Josie and her Dad.

In addition to finding the piano class, I have been focused on finding an appropriate preschool for Josie. James and I toured one of the local Montessori schools in November. Josie came with us and the staff told us that she was a great fit. However, we still have so many questions and there are 4 Montessori schools in our town. So, which one is best? Also, we're not pleased that ALL of the Montessori options only offer 'full week, half day' schedules. I don't think I want Josie in school everyday. Even if it is just for 4 hours. I really prefer the Tues&Thurs./ M,W,F half day options offered at our parish school. This option is also available at 3 of the local country day schools. So, the applications have been flying along with the required certifications. I just want to find a place where Josie will be lovingly cared for while being challenged intellectually. We'll see.

As all of this is going on, we've had a bunch of stuff going on for Maddie, too. Her big Science project is nearly due. We've had our bean growing station going for 2 months. She has been recording and measuring that whole time and now it's time to put it all together and present her findings. We will be working on her presentation board this week. Her written papers/research/data are all due this Friday.

We are also waiting to hear if Maddie was accepted to the new Catholic High School - acceptances will be mailed sometime in the next two weeks. She did pretty well on the placement exam, so we're hopeful.

Maddie is also gearing up to try out for the Girls Soccer team at school. (She took last year off from the sport - her first since she was 5!) So, between taking the tennis lessons and getting her to the gym for cardio workouts, she is managing to stay busy. Her grades are also great - something we don't take for granted. School work comes first, period.

I'll share the rest of my activities with you tomorrow - there's still so much going on - but I want to give your eyes a rest. I'm going to shoot for more blog posts this month so, stay tuned to see if I can keep that resolution!

2 comments:

OH MY #6 said...

Wow, that is amazing. Congratulations on all of this. I know it is so hard to change habits when we are so busy living life. Absolutely, wonderful. I am right here behind you cheering you on!

Lea

3 Peanuts said...

Michele,

I am so proud of you!!! I think your look fabulous. Really you looked gorgeous today. I loved our time together and it warmed my heart to see the grils together. That lil Josie is as sweet as can be. Thank you for the backyardigans. That was so sweet. Kate watched it on the way home and she loved it. I realized it was the first time you met Kate today:) Lets do it again soon:)
Kim