Sunday, October 14, 2007

Sasquash, Beaver, Whatever

This is a bit of long story, so bear with me:

In 2000, we moved from Alexandria, VA to Reading, PA. We loved Reading. We loved our house, our neighbors, our neighborhood, and the schools. About a mile from our house - on a route we drove several times a day - there was a small waterfall fed by a creek. I loved this turn in the road - it always made me feel like I lived in the most beautiful place on earth.

One afternoon, in late summer, we were driving along and saw a large, furry, lumbering animal. Maddie yelled out “Mom, what’s that animal?” Being a good mom, I put things together in my head quickly (water + furry animal = Beaver) “It’s a beaver, honey,” I answered.

A few nights later, while riding with my friend Dee Dee and her kids, Maddie saw the creature yet again and screamed “Beaver, Mom!” DeeDee threw me an incredulous look and broke out laughing. “That’s not a beaver, it’s a groundhog!” She laughed for about 5 minutes. I tried to redeem myself, but it was useless. It became one of those private jokes that friends share through the years. I’m sure that DeeDee, Karlie and Derek still refer to the groundhogs as beavers, as does Maddie - who was properly educated that night 7 years ago.

Flash forward to 2004 when we discover that the road to our local commuter rail line is home to number of groundhog colonies. We’ll be driving along and James says, “There’s one of your buddies, Hon”. I still get such a kick from seeing them. I think they are the cutest creatures around!

Jump to 2007. We’ve lived in our house here for over 3 years. One day in early September, I notice our dog, Carson standing by the back door, his hair on his back standing straight up. He was still as a statue, so I knew he was looking at something other than the squirrels he usually goes nuts over. I look into the yard to see a groundhog making his way across the yard. He hung around for a while and then headed back to his place in the woods at the edge of the yard.

I was so excited, I called James at work:

Michele: “James, you are not going to believe this - we have a groundhog in the yard!!!!” I was practically screaming.
James: “Really?”
Michele: “Yes, Yes, and he is HUGE!”
James: “Good for you Hon! I’m glad one of your buddies decided to visit you at home.”
Michele: “Can you believe it?!”
James: “Yes!” then, muttering under his breath “Sasquash”.
Michele: “What?”
James: “Nothing, I’ve got a meeting in a few minutes, I need to get going”
Michele: “Okay, I’ll talk to you later, Bye”.

Since that day, I have seen the groundhog a lot. I excitedly call Maddie and Josie to come look each time I do. I even call my neighbor Nora, when he wanders into her yard. Still, James has never seen him and each time the kids or I mention the groundhog James does the same thing….

Mutters under his breath - “Sasquash, Yeti, aliens.” It seems my husband believes I’m seeing things…

So, this is for James, DeeDee, Karlie, Derek, Maddie & Josie. Please tell James the groundhog (beaver) does not reside in my head!!

1 comment:

Susan Stevenson said...

I loved this story! *grin*