Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Witnessing History



Maddie and I were two in about 2 million citizens who ventured into Washington DC today to see the inauguration of President Obama. I felt it was important that we both witness this historic event in person. Since we live so close to Washington, it wasn't much of a task. We purchased special train tickets for the Inauguration over the Christmas break. Trains were Reserved Seating only.

Every bridge going into Washington from Maryland & Virginia was closed. Every Metro station within a 2 mile radius of the Capitol was either closed or 'Exit Only'. Only buses, limousines, taxis, and official government vehicles were allowed to travel on the city streets. I cannot tell you how eerie it was to see this site:


This is the 395 (which cuts right through DC) at 2PM.

Unbelievable! We were able to grab a spot relatively close to the Capitol to watch the festivities. We were just below 3rd Street. This was the closest area the general public could watch the 'swearing in' without a ticket. If you look at next few photos, you can see the inaugural platform right behind the JumboTron. We were about 3 city blocks back from there.





This is what it looked like from where we stood:


In Front of Us



Behind Us.

Security was incredible - even for Washington. Here's a photo of the snipers on top of the National Gallery of Art:



There were sharpshooters on the roof of every building lining the Mall. On the ride up on the train, there were Dept. of Homeland Security police, TSA police, local police and police dogs patrolling the aisles of the train, the stations and the crowds waiting in line.

It was 'cold as all get out'. Air temperature was about 25 degrees with a 10-15 mph wind blowing the whole time. You would think that as crowded as it was, you wouldn't feel the wind. You would be wrong. We froze our butts off! I had on silk long underwear, a turtleneck, jeans, a polar fleece jacket and my hooded winter coat over all that. We had those 'hot hands' chemical heating packs in our pockets and shoes. Of course, the ones for the shoes didn't work and we walked like we had club feet after 5 hours of standing in the freezing temps.

But, as you might expect, the crowd was lovely. Everyone around us was polite, happy to be freezing, helpful, and downright giddy once the ceremony started. I watched a gentleman next me, with his father by his side, break into tears as President Obama took the oath of office. Women to my right hugged, with tearful eyes. It was a very emotional moment. You could hear a pin drop as the crowd listened to President Obama's speech. I was amazed. And, really thankful to live in a country where the change of government is celebrated in harmony and goodwill. I never forget that in some countries, wars are launched over election results. I could go on for hours about the funny and kind people we met today. Everyone was just incredibly thrilled to be there, able to witness history in the making. It is a day I will not soon forget.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am always happy to read your blog and especially love this post. How wonderful that you and Maddie were able to be present at such a tremendous event! Thanks for sharing.
Jennifer (Erin Okoniewski's mom)

Susan Stevenson said...

I was hoping you would be there, and expected as much! I tried to pick you out in the crowd! *giggle*

What an emotional day it was for so many of us! How awesome that you got to witness it firsthand. I was up early since the festivities started at 6am here in AK, but I would have gotten up at 2am to witness such an amazing event!

Maddie will have a great story to tell her children someday!

sharonkenney said...

WOW... girls... I must say love the pictures and I am so glad you made it home safely. I love the pictures your firsthand witness to history. I on the other hand watched the activies in my living with my big screen tv nice and warm but I must say, I was very touched watching all the history being made today and wishing I was with you both (not in the cold weather)... What a life time of memories you both got to see first hand and how lucky Maddie was to have her mom with her to share this wonderful experience in life

Glad you made it home safely and I can't wait to see all the pictures.
Sharon

3 Peanuts said...

Wow~ You are so lucky. I have tears in my eyes just reading this. I watched in WIll's classroom and his teacher and I both were teary.

Kim

Donna said...

What an amazing thing to be part of! Love the pictures!

Donna