Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Bloat, Sweat & Tears


Pictured above: Brady, Lisa, Heidi & Maddie - Summer '08

A really important part of my life started last February when, with a desire for fitness, I sought out a personal trainer. We have belonged to our gym since it opened in February of 07, but I wasn't getting a lot out of our membership. Sure, I'd go in a few times a week and use the elliptical machine (and the awesome Kids Zone for Josie), but beyond that, not much.

Fate brought me my darling Lisa. The fitness manager assigns trainers based on fitness goals and age - seeking to hook up client and trainer that would be a good fit personally as well as professionally. Boy, we were we a good fit! Lisa and I are of similar background and temperament. And, we were both in new & challenging chapters of our lives.

Last February, Lisa had just begun a relationship with a gentleman named Dave. At the same time, I was recovering from my decades long relationship with cigarettes. I was ready to take on a new challenge. For 3 months, Lisa and I met 3 times a week to work out. In April, she encouraged me to begin cycling classes (spinning classes, to some). I loved it! Once our sessions ended, we remained friends.

During that same time, I watched Lisa become a wife to Dave, a widower, and take on the enormous job of becoming a Step-Mom to his two teenagers. Brady & Heidi are fantastic kids who we just adore.

Our conversations revolved around the joys and challenges of trying to steer our kids through their teenaged years. Heck, sometimes we just wondered out loud how we would survive the teenaged years! In addition, while still newlywed, Dave was sent by his company to work in the Green Zone, in Baghdad. Lisa had a baptism by fire - being the sole parent left behind to manage the house and family life. She and the kids did great! After sharing many family milestones together (Maddie's graduation, Lisa's professional awards, cookouts, etc) I can truly say I have a REAL friend.

So, let me brag on my friend for a minute... Lisa was named 'Trainer of the Year' last year. She also trained the winning team in our gym's version of the 'Biggest Loser'. It was a company wide (8 locations) competition with a Blue Team and a Red team for each gym. Lisa's team lost over 300 pounds in 5 months! Her 'Loser' team and most of her other clients all met on Saturdays for the 7:15AM cycling class. I found two of her 'Losers', Skip & Ken, to be especially inspirational.

In November, our gym started another competition called 'Jump Start'. Lisa teamed me up with two seriously funny individuals, Lisa & Lynn, and we became the "Shut the Front Door" team. So named because of our predilection for 'salty' language during strenuous workouts. We worked out as a team for 6 weeks (Nov 6-Dec 14), and had a great time. I don't know how our team fared in the competition, but I was pleased with my own results - I lost 9 pounds during the competition and also posted my personal best during a 2 hour Thanksgiving morning cycling class (in 2 hours I rode 43 miles). I credit Lisa, with her never ending support and encouragement, for all the fitness improvements I've made in the past year.

I also credit Lisa with helping me make new friends and letting me see that extending myself to other people is not such a scary thing. She is an absolute lovey and someone I am so glad to have in my life.

3 comments:

3 Peanuts said...

Michele,

I am so proud of you for quitting smoking ANd getting in such great shape. I am sure both of those are extremely difficult. I am in terrible shape and should take a cue form you and work out. Most of all though I am glad that you have made such a great friend in Lisa!

Foxham said...

Michele-
Schnowzer told me to read your Blog as you share a quality of mine...."befriending a personal trainer"...My Trainer ("the GERMANator") and I clicked as soon as we met. She helped me shed 15 pounds and strengthen my core. Each session was FUN despite the sweat and aches and pains along the way. Her German accent and piercing voice inspires me to go 148% during spinning classes. Please come to St. Louis and you can spin like a WILD woman with me! Workout all day withj me and party all night with the Schnowz :-)
Hope all is well with you and yours.
Love,
Kelly

Susan Stevenson said...

Way to go Michele with getting healthier and fitter. I wish I had your motivation!

I'm happy you have someone special like Lisa in your life, to not only offer friendship, but to be your personal cheerleader too!