Saturday, May 31, 2008

Mother/Daughter, Father/Daughter



We've been making plans. BIG plans! This past September it was decided that it had been WAY too long since I had seen my childhood friend, Sue. Sue and I grew up together in Philadelphia. Right across the street from each other since I was about 4. My family moved to Maryland when I was 14, but we always kept in touch. We've managed a few visits in the passing years, but we wanted a REAL visit. So, I am packing up my oldest daughter and heading to Alaska. Sue and her husband, Steve, have retired in Alaska. Steve's last post in the Army was at Fort Wainwright - they both fell in love with Alaska and now it is their home.



Sue will meet Maddie and I in Anchorage on June 24th and we'll hit the road for an Alaskan adventure. We will spend 1 night in Anchorage, 2 nights in Seward, I night in Wasilla, 1 night in Denali and then finish up at Sue's house in the Fairbanks area. Sue made us brochures detailing our activities for the week, and Maddie and I are just so excited! Sue is a photographer, so I'm sure we will visit the most scenic areas of Alaska.




While we are away, Josie will be staying with her Grandmom & PopPop at the beach. James will be working during the week, but he will be at my parents house on the weekends while we are gone. I'm a bit sad at leaving Josie behind, but it's a great opportunity for Maddie and I to have some real Mother/Daughter time before she heads off to high school. Our lives have been so busy since Josie's arrival - and I have loved every minute of it. At the same time, I am longing for some adult time with my dear friend and having her meet Maddie for the first time... Yes, it's been THAT long since Sue and I have visited!

Today marks the end of Josie's piano lessons, which she has enjoyed since January. It's a special class for 3 & 4 year olds that she attends every Saturday morning with her Dad. James is a musician (violin) so it's only natural that the two of them spend that time together. They also share the time with our friend, Ed and his grandson, Joey. It gives Ed & James a chance to catch up on our social schedules, as all plans are made by Marty and I and communicated via the husbands!





2 comments:

Susan Stevenson said...

I can't wait to see you again! I hope the weather cooperates, the wildlife is abundant, and this great state leaves you awestruck!

OH MY #6 said...

how wonderful.

Lea